06 August 2006

Yellow


I hope everyone will read this. And I hope we all realize that alcohol, even a .12 blood alcohol level's worth, doesn't turn one into an anti-Semite. It is deep seated. You know this, right?

Please make no excuses for this man. At least do not make them here.

My daughter is a Mel Gibson fan—that is to say she prefers his treatment of the Hamlet character to Kenneth Branagh's version. She finds Branagh "ugly." I hope that she will now find Gibson ugly.

I told my eight-year-old girl, a child raised on film versions of Shakespearean plays, that Gibson got drunk the other day and drove his car. Her eyes widened. I continued the story, explaining that he had said mean things about Jewish people. I don't know that I am completely astounded by her response: "I would have just said no if he asked me so that I can protect my life." That she would find her life endangered by those words is the surprise. That she is so astute is not.

I said the same thing at her age when I learned that Jews were forced to emblazon their arms with the yellow badge*. No one believed what followed could have followed.

I hope we are smarter now.

I'm not saying I'd pretend, that I'd go undercover as a Christian or a Muslim or the Opressor du jour to protect my life. And I'm not saying the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy of our government is preferable, either.

I asked once in a poem:
"and will you take up arms when they / come knocking at your door? or will / you hold this pen and write these poems?"

Both. Both.

And what a dismal thought for a Sunday morning. Who should have to protect her daughter from the words of a hateful, drunken actor? And will that lead to having to protect her from more than words?**



* * * *

*Read more about the history of the yellow badge.

**This is, of course, why I love blogging. Bloggers expose us to news that is often suppressed or hidden. And bloggers share with us their intimate thoughts and offer us glimpses into their lives. I like to share my daughter's wisdom. And when you see it after I've exposed my flaws, you know that your child is going to be OK.





10 Comments:

Blogger FreedomGirl said...

Out of the mouths of babes...
They always say the purest, truest things and we are astounded by it.
We shouldn't be. It is a testament to pure and true parenting.

8/06/2006 11:52 AM

 
Blogger Brownie said...

Love you.

8/06/2006 1:46 PM

 
Blogger Pamela said...

I read a wonderful response by The Anchoress regarding Mel Gibson.

http://theanchoressonline.com/2006/08/01/mel-gibson-fjbs-qana-wmds-and-grace/

(I also noticed that his mug shot still showed his beautiful blue eyes.)

An artist came to our church to ask for contributions to go to a christian artist convention in Brussels. He said that he hoped people didn't fawn over him -- that he wanted to be an artest and not adored. He said 'Man' was not made to be worshiped. That really stayed with me. You can see what happens to the Actors and ACtresses that people worship. They start losing themselves into their own idolatry.

8/06/2006 1:57 PM

 
Blogger CyberCelt said...

Here for the BC Carnival. I was truly amazed that Mel Gibson could be such a devote Christian and have such ugliness in his soul. It was not only the Jewish people he offended, but women and the police as well.

8/06/2006 4:00 PM

 
Blogger fuquinay said...

Thanks for the link, Pamela. Wish I had a trackback.

Regarding the link, since I can't post on the Anchoress's blog, I'd like to say, here, that my outrage is against hate and pepetuators of it. But, perhaps because we idolize our movie idols, we have to guard against their words becoming motivation for other hatred. I have to worry that someone is chanting, "I wanna be like Mike"—or Mel, as in this case.

As regards the "worldwide left," I suppose I expect rhetoric like that from the worldwide right. I am a Jewish liberal democrat. I know the situation in Israel is far more complex than most people think it is, and I condemn Hezbollah and other groups calling for the systematic destruction of peoples based on their religion or ethnicity or whatever else.

Had I been a colonist, I might not have had the luxury of my opinion. But I consider myself pretty smart, and I'm not going to pick myself up and move to a place where every single one of my neighbors wants to kill me.

I wonder how much of that opinion is luxurious, too.

8/06/2006 4:25 PM

 
Blogger fuquinay said...

I would not presume, reverberate58, to know your intentions, nor would I suggest that they aren't good ones.

But turning a blind eye to hatred? Ignoring it because it has too much attention already?

I wonder if you are Jewish. I wonder if someone has hated the group with which you identify, to which you belong.

Because I have a duty to make this world safe for my daughter to think and be. And sometimes that means concentrating on someone who, if I have my way, can remain an unpleasant nuissance.

8/06/2006 4:50 PM

 
Blogger Karmyn R said...

I used to love Mel Gibson - until about 5 years ago when i watched an interview with him - and I thought "what a jerk" - he still is....

8/06/2006 8:26 PM

 
Blogger Brownie said...

Yellow - as performed by Coldplay

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah, they were all yellow.

I came along,
I wrote a song for you,
And all the things you do,
And it was called Yellow.

So then I took my turn,
Oh what a thing to've done,
And it was all Yellow.

Your skin
Oh yeah, your skin and bones,
Turn into something beautiful,
Do you know?
You know I love you so,
You know I love you so.

I swam across,
I jumped across for you,
Oh what a thing to do.
'Cos you were all yellow,

I drew a line,
I drew a line for you,
Oh what a thing to do,
And it was all yellow.

Your skin,
Oh yeah your skin and bones,
Turn into something beautiful,
Do you know?
For you I'd bleed myself dry,
For you I'd bleed myself dry.

It's true, look how they shine for you,
Look how they shine for you,
Look how they shine for...
Look how they shine for you,
Look how they shine for you,
Look how they shine...

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And all the things that you do.

8/10/2006 12:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yap, Coldplay, I love this band!

8/11/2006 1:07 PM

 
Blogger Malissa said...

I'm sorry I missed this last week.

I think his words are terrible. I'm sad that he thought it was ok to talk like that.

I'm sorry that your little girl felt that she had to figure out a way to be safe when she heard that!:(


I do not idolize hollywood at all and Mel is another reason--I am not sure that many of them have any real intelligence.

8/12/2006 9:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home