Doggy Stuff
I am overwhelmed by my things. Every nook and cranny is stuffed with stuff. My house is overflowing, brimming, teeming with heaps and piles and scads of stuff. The bookshelves in my office armoire host handmade candles that smell like cake; funky thumbtacks and glass paperweights; pictures of the skinny me, the young Marty, the baby Serena; books, pens, highlighters, CDs, paper; coconut hand cream in a stick.
Behind me are frog things: a ceramic one that sat in my grandmother’s plant, which my daughter played with and chipped, some Herend frogs with crowns and gold balls, a brass one with emerald eyes, bookends. There’s also a palmistry hand, a giant glass heart, more candles of red currant and cake and honeydew. At the top of my bookshelves, where I can’t reach them, are a leaded glass decanter and ten wine glasses, from which no one can drink because of the lead; a fancy teapot that never held tea; a child’s china tea service too small to be of import; and a wicker basket filled with stuff that wasn’t decorative enough to leave out to catch the dust before it falls upon an unoccupied flat surface.
I have bowls full of bones: skulls of deer and rodents, the hip of a dog, jaws and teeth and random innards, all picked clean and bleached white by the sun. I have a paper wasp’s nest, a honeycomb, a bird’s nest, a beehive, the shell of a turtle, and rocks; I have lots of rocks.
Among the several thousand books in my house, the utilitarian things, and the art that hangs on walls are more things: a punch that makes musical-note-shaped holes (but not very well), some Crazy Aaron’s Thinking Putty that I’ve been thinking of discarding, pine cones covered with glitter still out from Christmas, an ocarina from who knows where, and a pretty handmade book without so much as a jot or tiddle.
I didn’t buy all this junk. They are gifts from friends and mothers and daughters. They are relics from the dead and buried (or the dead and unburied, in the case of my bone collection), things with sentimental value, like a ceramic lady on a stick, who sat in my grandmother’s plant for my whole life and who sat in it still until last month, when I tossed the plant but salvaged the lady.
But I did buy a lot of it. Most recently, I bought giant steel switch plates with swirls and two ceramic figures that look like something out of a camp horror movie. We have enough of it, of course. I own at least eight pairs of bookends (because even the wall-to-wall bookcases in the dining room and attic can’t hold those several thousand books). I have enough masks—28 or so, from Italy and South Africa, China and Guam, Mexico, made by me or my friends, had for a song at a New York or Baltimore flea market; enough ceramic chatchkis that were irresistibly eerie.
Truth is, we need things. Some of us can live simply, but those non-capitalized nouns cut our steaks and clean our dishes and brush our teeth and hold our asses. We can live without many things, but we can’t live without a single thing. Things that aren’t tools— like cutlery and computers—comfort us. They rekindle memories of loved ones and joyous times. They capture beauty. They serve to make our inside world functional and beautiful and fragrant and pleasing, even if only to make up for some of the miseries found in the outside world.
No, never forget poverty and injustice. But show me someone who can live well without even a single object d’art, a single photograph or bauble or good luck charm—an ascetic life, perhaps—and I’ll show you someone who is denying more than material pleasure.
The first night of class, I hand my students a questionnaire that asks them to name one thing they might go into a burning house to retrieve. I long to read three-sentence paragraphs about baby shoes and photo albums and crucifixes. It’s the ones who tell me that things can be replaced, that only life is precious, whom I distrust the most.
Many people get it. They know I don’t expect them to burn, literally or figuratively, for a diamond ring or a Palm Pilot once people and pets are safe. I just want to know what objects hold mysterious sway over them, what they can cradle in their hands—like a special stone picked up from the ground at Dachau’s concentration camp, like their daughter’s first tooth, like the collar of their best dog—to have all of life come rushing back like some great big unstoppable wave.
Things have power. And it’s OK to let them have it. God and Jesus and Allah and Jehovah and love and trees and all those we deify will not condemn us for these simple things that we find precious.
What would you save? A dog’s whisker? Your son’s first rattle? The ashes of your grandmother? Would you, like so many of us, grab the pictures first?
While my favorite things are always changing, the ones that make me saddest—the collars* and pictures of my departed dog loves, Beowulf and Buddha—are my most priceless. This is A Doggy’s Life, after all.
*Don't read it unless you want to cry.
* * * * *
Thanks for some of my favorite things go to:
Flickr, because most of my precious memories can be retrieved from anywhere in the world.
Kingston, because I can practically carry my hard drive in my pocket.***
Mr. Clean, because with the Magic Eraser, I don't have to paint so often.
Dawn, because Oxi is the only thing that cleans buttercream icing out of piping bags.
Nikon, because my Coolpix 5200 takes a whacking and keeps on snapping.
Finally, thanks to target="_blank", which, when used after a link, opens a second window and keeps my readers where they belong. Use it, or lose them.








11 Comments:
All wonderful things, especially that Mr. Clean eraser, ha ha. Thanks for sharing!!
7/29/2006 3:14 PM
You're so funny, Janice. I'm going to write my response in your blog. Then people will go, WTF?
7/29/2006 7:43 PM
Your hair is fabulous....
7/30/2006 8:19 AM
God love you and your dogs.
I think I would just make sure my husband, kids, dog and cat made it.
If I had to save one thing, I think it would be my medicines, without which I would go bananas, especially if my house burned down.
Oh no, now I have to make a list of things to grab and then figure out where they are. LOL
7/30/2006 5:38 PM
well the humans are a given! Then pictures.
I don't think I could even get close to getting the scrapbooks out but if I had the photo negatives and CD's that would be ok with me.
7/30/2006 10:17 PM
Very well written. I really don't know what I'd save--what I'd miss most. I could grab the laptop, which has some writing and many many pictures, but thanks to some pics on snapfish and blogger holding much of my writing, some of that is safe anyway. Probably my address book for those "Christmas card friends." Maybe some CDs, because once a CD case full of our best loved Christmas CDs got lost (probably fell out of the car) and we were very sad.
Speaking of sad, I'm clicking the collar link. . . . My doggie is lying under my bed, so I can always squeeze her when I'm done.
7/31/2006 8:35 PM
I have my rottweilers collar, too.
In a drawer somewhere so I don't have to dust it. (Now I ask you - do you hire someone to dust all that stuff?)
But as far as what I would save from a burning house? photo's and paintings and a great grandmothers bible. (Assuming all living things were already out.)
7/31/2006 8:58 PM
I found this pile of bones (goat I think) at my in-law's, tucked away in a stand of ancient pines. You would think someone put them there, since they were clean, not covered with years of pine needles.
I slept poorly that night.
I would love to have one of those pocket drives.
8/01/2006 12:51 PM
You warned me, but I read it anyway...
I was heartbroken when our family cottage burned, 40 years of beach glass, stones, bones, shells, pebbles, driftwood...up in smoke. I've got my work cut out for me trying to replace them all. ;)
8/02/2006 2:20 PM
So this is what you've been up to!
I cried.
I cried.
I cried.
I'm done crying now.
I thought of you when I looked at a blog called 52 cupcakes.
8/02/2006 9:26 PM
Oh no. What would I take? I'd grab the photos first, of course. Then my memory boxes, filled to the brim, all of them of napkins with dates on them, bus tokens, movie stubs and burnt birthday candles. I'd grab the video cassettes of my little boy, and my donkeys. I'd grab my beautiful butterfly lamp and the clay imprints of my son's hand and foot. Oh hell, I'd die in the flames trying to get all that and more out!
8/11/2006 10:19 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home