HBTM, HBTM, HBTDM, HBTM.
Today, the sun is shining for me, on me. Though I much prefer to spend the day in quiet reflection, getting a massage, a facial, a foot rub, or some other touchy-feely healing ritual involving potions, today is a day like most others: I have a client’s ad to finish before tomorrow, classes to plan, a book to read, a soccer game to attend (and, consequently, cheering and screaming to do). But there is a moment for this kind of reflection, a little bit of writing, and I cherish it. There is also cake to eat and love to share.
I don’t like parties. I don’t like attending them, and I especially don’t like throwing them—all that pressure to be perfect and entertaining. But this one took the cake (two of them, actually: white chocolate cheesecake and Silver Palate carrot cake). The food was provided, with thanks to my parents, by Café Zen, and set up thanks to my sister and brother-in-law.
I had invited about thirty-five people, and nearly all of them crammed into my tiny house last night, some with gifts. (If you count the life-size deer decoy, it was quite a haul.) Our rock star friend, Andy Bopp, of Myracle Brah semi-fame, played old favorites like “The Mighty Quinn” and “Happy Together,” with accompaniment by Bill Watson, drummer extraordinaire and head of the music department at the community colleges. It was Andy’s first living room concert, and he was a little nervous about it. But after the first song, he told us he was having the best time. It was obvious. We were, too—all of us.
I spent all of yesterday’s rainout baking and straightening and cleaning. But last night, the party threw itself. I wandered around with my beer and my new toy, singing “Surrender” loudly, smiling a lot, annoying the hell out of my good-natured friends with brief flashes of light.
It was just about the best way anyone could end one year and begin the next.
This morning, I arose to find photos in my honor from Flickr pals Max_xx and Hilary and several birthday greetings from real and virtual friends. One of them was especially touching: “Have a great day knowing that many people cherish you and that you are a perfectly good use of a life.” I wonder about that sometimes—my use of my life. But today I feel cherished and worthy of each breath I take.
As the day progresses, I will be touched a thousand times. And though I don’t earn that privilege every day, my friends and family make me work harder toward that end.
May all our birthdays be so warm and filled with kindness and love.
- - - - - - -
Happy anniversary, Mitch and Parvene! Happy birthday, Mike Vogel, Steve Parke, Christine Crandall, Tom Scruggs, Diana Hume George, Paula Freed, Terry Reed, and all my other Libra homies.
7 Comments:
happy birthday! yo! woof! etc
10/08/2006 12:48 PM
Happy Birthday!!!! I am waiting to see some amazing pictures from you!!!
10/08/2006 2:54 PM
ahhh..the birthday girl.
for you (haiku):
red violins sing
autumn crisp velvet curtain
delicious for you
10/08/2006 3:22 PM
Happy birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day and an amazing cake experience! XO
10/09/2006 2:05 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I missed it! I'm so sorry! Happy Birthday DFB!!!
10/09/2006 7:12 PM
That sounds so awesome. Happy birthday to you and to your husband. (And the photo of the cake looks YUMMY and beautiful.)
Elise
10/11/2006 11:26 AM
This comes a bit late for a birthday tribute, being written on 2 November, when I finally figured out how to find the page. I know nearly everything else about you, including the breadth and depth of your many talents. Indeed you are a perfectly good use of a life. What I like about you today is--wait for it--that you always spell every word correctly. Mommy's little girl! Oh, and I love listening to the poems. All of them. Love you.
11/02/2006 7:40 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home