Folk Boy and Lava Girl
I will just have to face the fact that Willy Porter does not now and will probably never love me. Maybe it’s because he’s happily married; his wedding ring is his only adornment, and when the light isn’t coming back at me like daggers from the metal of his Guild acoustic, it glints off the ring. It says, “No.” It says, "Never."
It’s OK that Willy Porter won’t love me. It was probably even OK to have the fantasy that he would, one day, meet me on the street somewhere—in a place where I am not, of course, stalking him, no, because I’m at the acceptance stage now—and fall madly in love with me because he has decided that he does, in fact, like plump, aging women with lots of too-dark hair and random hot flashes.
Those kinds of fantasies, however, get us nowhere but trouble with our husbands. They wonder why our blouses aren’t cut this low when we’re going to dinner, just the two of us. They want to know why we linger too long near where he holds court after the show, why we call his name in our sleep.
Still, I didn’t come to this decision until sometime after the second set began, when Willy read the note I wrote for my husband, who forgot his glasses, which said, “Willy, ‘Cut the Rope,’ please? And ‘Trees Have Soul,’ too, pretty please?” He folded it neatly and tossed it behind him on the stage. He used it to talk about how much he likes Americans because he had gotten a note backstage telling him to pay attention to the left side of the room.
He played a song requested, in a note, by the left side of the room.
He did not play either of our songs.
And that’s when I decided that Willy was never going to love me, and I’m OK with that.
Really I am.
8 Comments:
I once "stalked" a singer in a local bar in my hometown, along with 3 of my best friends. We bought him new shirts to wear (we got tired of Friday Night Teal and Saturday Night Red). We got him a yellow one and a green one just to mix things up a bit. His name was Gordie Johnson and I remember the thrill I used to get when we'd show up and he'd be wearing one of "our" shirts! I guess we were on the good side of the room!
PS.....I want Sting to love me, though I'm quite sure I'd neverbe able to keep up with the whole "Tantric" thing.
11/16/2005 7:45 PM
I find it funny that even at our ages, we still have romantic fantasies as if there is still hope. Mine are for Prince Charming. Damn, I wish I would get out of FairyTale Land.
11/16/2005 8:53 PM
Sigh, always the outsider. Never had a lustful thought about any celebrity.
11/17/2005 11:12 AM
I suppose it's about passion more than anything else--and recognizing that passion in another being. When I listen to this man sing, I melt completely. It has nothing at all to do with his appearance (he's not attractive to me; he wears sort of dopey, baggy clothes--goofy athletic shoes, loose jeans, non-descript sweaters, and an awful knit cap lots of the time to cover his mostly-bald head). I just can't believe his FINGERS. The way he plays and sings, his poetry, his passion.
And as far as stalking goes, I don't do that. I have only seen three of his concerts; I've even missed him at close venues.
He just makes me swoon.
11/17/2005 11:28 AM
Doggster, this was a fabulous post!
I could picture him throwing the note behind him... and your face falling. Yeah, definitely time to move on to someone else. Someone better. Someone waaaay better than that dumb Willy Porter who can't even pay atteniton to you even though you are CLEARLY his greatest fan and the ONLY one who TRULY understands his music and you wouldn't ever even think to burden him with that info because you wouldn't WANT to ruin his marriage nor your own, but you know if you only had a moment alone with him he'd be screwed, literally, and... ummm, what? Where was I?
Oh yeah. Great post!
11/18/2005 4:46 PM
smart mouth, your comment was way better than the post.
11/19/2005 3:17 PM
Loved the post, loved the comments, love Willy. :)
P.S. I feel the same way about Edwin McCain. He's not even my type, but his passion for his music and the passion that his music inspires in me is enough to last a lifetime.
11/21/2005 11:18 AM
P.S. I'm sorry. You can't have Bob either. He wants me now :)
11/21/2005 12:38 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home