22 March 2005

U.S. Out of Us

In his sermon at Beth El, Rabbi Schwartz recounted a biblical tale. An ailing rabbi lay suffering in his bed. In another room, ten of the congregation's elders prayed for his recovery. The ailing rabbi's nurse watched the suffering man and prayed for death to end his misery, but the ten elders' prayers were stronger. Outside, the Angel of Death waited, unable to enter because of the prayers. The nurse, desperate for her charge to rest in peace, threw an urn out the window. The noise shattered the concentration of the chanting elders, whose prayers paused for just a moment. The Angel of Death was at last able to enter the home and take the rabbi.

In Jewish law, one mustn't do anything to hasten death. But neither must one stand in death's way by unnatural means. The powerful prayers of the congregation's ten elders were keeping the soul of a long-suffering man--a man who's pain they could not see, for they were in another room--from passing to a peaceful place. The nurse was not hastening death; rather, she was removing the obstacle from its path.

After fifteen long years, Terri Schiavo's obstacle to death has been removed--again.

No fan of the court of public opinion, I don't care that more than 80% of Americans polled would not want to live in what is being called a "persistant vegetative state," that for them, as for me, death would be a welcome angel. Because what we would want is not the point.

Likewise, what God would want is not the point, either. In fact, it would seem he wanted Terri Schiavo in February of 1990, when she was resuscitated after suffering a heart attack brought on by a bulimia-induced potassium deficiency.* But even if it were about what God would want-- which would require that the U.S. draft a new constitution joining church with state--could a federal judge determine God's will?

What this is about, however, is what Terri would want. And therein lies the struggle. Her parents, the Schindlers, believe she would have wanted to remain in her current state indefinitely; her husband does not.**

Florida courts, the most pro-life courts in the country, have thrice ruled that the feeding tube should be removed, that Schiavo's husband had proven he knew his wife's wishes, that the doctors hired by the husband, as well as disinterested doctors hired by the court, had proven to them that Terri's cognitive functions could never be restored.***

As a wife and a daughter, I would find it painful--excruciating--to let my husband or one of my parents die this way. But I know what they want. I know my husband, unable to engage in political discourse or even form an intelligible word, would wish to have no feeding tube or respirator installed. I would have to be unselfish enough to carry out his wishes. I would have to put away my mountains of hope. And as much as it would pain me, I would have to fight anyone who forced me to do other than his will.

His brother, who lived with him the first sixteen years of his life, might think he is a better judge than I of what my husband would want. But I, having lived with him for the past twenty-one years, know better. And I am my husband's surrogate, as is Terri's husband hers. This is not, as Tom DeLay says, a question of the sancity of marriage vs. the sanctity of life. His grandstanding and sloganeering do nothing but shift attention from the facts. You can't shame state laws into changing themselves.

And now the flipside. As a mother, I can understand how the Schindlers must feel, too; I can imagine the hold that hope has on them. Should I ever have to make a decision like this, I would have to decide what my daughter would want and again abandon selfishness. But the fact is, if my baby girl were a married woman, the decision might not be in my hands.

Both sides come from a compelling place.

But, as this is not my child, my wife, I can only respond as an appalled American. I find it terrifying that a Christian-controlled Congress, with the help of some misguided democrats, has passed an unprecedented and likely unconstitutional private law. Conservative Republicans have long argued for government to stay out of our personal lives, yet throughout the Bush presidency, the Religious Wrong has unfolded a cot and stuck it smack dab in the middle of our homes, our wallets, our institutions, and our hospital rooms.

This country is full of Terri Schiavos. Thousands of people decide, daily, whether a life should continue based on individual beliefs and circumstances. This should never have become an argument about the value of human life. Terri Schiavo's case has no parallel with that of a baby who should be allowed to starve to death simply because it can't eat on its own. It's a faulty analogy, a slippery slope; it's dozens of logical fallacies. This is a state's rights issue, and conservative republicans--those advocates against the nanny state--are hypocrites for supporting such a move.

I don't know what to do with Terri Schiavo, and I am glad it is not my decision. But I know what not to do with her, and that is to subject her to anyone's so-called moral agenda by calling in the feds.

The moral of this story, and of Rabbi Schwartz's sermon, is to leave written instructions, preferably in the form of a living will. Unfortunately, we might now have to worry that our own wishes could still be circumvented by people who have no business involving themselves in them. Because what it really boils down to is that right-to-life groups don't want us to have the option.

----

For more information on Terri and her case, including a timeline and links to legal records, this seems to be an unbiased account with excellent links.

* I wonder how many people on the front lines of this battle know how Terri came to be in the hospital in the first place.

**Talk of Michael Schiavo's ulterior motives is probably worth examining. Some say he abused his wife, but hospital records all show brusing consistent with potassium deficiency (yes, it causes bruising, cramping, and even heart attacks!). Besides, had he been an abusive husband, he'd never have been invited to live with the Schindlers in their home following the heart attack. As for his new family, how many lives should have stopped for those fifteen years? Regarding the money, no one will ever know the truth except the people in the room.

*** That Terri's condition will never improve is debated only by a few of the Schindler's hires and by people who have done little more than view the same few seconds of file footage. The Schnindler's priest told NBC news yesterday that Terri seemed to form a slight smile. Did she? Or did he want her to and imagine she did?





16 Comments:

Blogger fuquinay said...

Brilliant.

3/23/2005 5:51 PM

 
Blogger Prom said...

The shame I think here is not that Terry meet the angel of death but the manner in which she is having to do it. Although I, as a neuroscientist, do not think that she is suffereing (can you suffer without cortical activity? where does suffering exist in our bodies?) from the feelings brought on by starvation and thirst, I do think that for most of us, this image is very troubling.

I think we need an affirmative right to die in as human a manner as possible. This woman needs a large shot of morphine that will let her pass quickly and in more peace and less suffering - whatever it might be - than she is now.

3/24/2005 9:27 AM

 
Blogger leaveme alone said...

I guess what bothers me the most about this, is that people sometimes sign living wills and then when a tragedy strikes (and if they can voice their wishes), they often change their minds! They find that they are in fact not ready to die. I also don't know if I believe Terri's husband in that he is doing this for her (from what I have read about his backgroud). Terri cannot tell anyone what she wants or does not want at this point, and that is the sad aspect of this. I find the way she is dying horrific and painful to think about. I agree with Prom...if the lady is going to die, give her a peaceful way of going. If I had the choice of living as Terri is or dying by starvation, I would probably choose to live! I feel very sad that she is being allowed to starve to death. This also reminds me of my aunt who has Alzheimers. She looks like she has less awareness than Terri. She recognizes no one and does not even smile at her husand when he enters the room. She can no longer care for herself, including feeding herself. Yes, she can swallow...but is this life? Would she want to live this way? Should orders be given to stop feeding her? This opens up so many thoughts, especially after seeing Million Dollar Baby. Well, at least that woman chose what she wanted and went in a painless way. Do I have a living will...Not yet. Do I want to live hooked to machines...NO. Would I change my mind if the situation arose...I can't say I know the answer to that. It is scary territory for me.

3/24/2005 9:49 PM

 
Blogger Prom said...

I'm probably more extreme than most of you but I wouldn't choose to live with any advanced mental degenerative disease. I plan on going to sea and not coming back or something like that. Seriously, who wants to hang around after your mind is gone? Is there a point to it? I don't think Terri (or Ocean, your Aunt) is suffereing. I think you have to have awareness and an intact emotional system to suffer.

3/24/2005 10:08 PM

 
Blogger fuquinay said...

First of all, I am still with most of the medical community in my belief that dehydration is actually a peaceful way to go. (I've heard the same of kidney failure--it releases all the toxins into your body, and you go in sort of a drugged, euphoric state, rather than a painful one.)

But this argument, again, is not about the ways in which we can choose to die! We're not going to get that choice. Sure, turning off a respirator results in pretty immediate death, but that's not the choice.

It's hard, I know, to separate the celebrity from the cause, but this happens to everyone every day! Where were Tom DeLay when my mom and her brother decided to unplug my grandmother from life support? She was in a morphine induced coma, on a respirator, and dying of candidiasis from heart failure. There was no living will.

We make these decisions every day, and we have to. Would we change our minds at the last minute, if this were us?

Honey, if we have the mind to change, then we're not talking about the same degree of incapacitation!

3/25/2005 7:20 AM

 
Blogger Prom said...

I still keep coming back to the fact that we are more humane to our pets than we are to each other. I call Oregon home and there the voters have twice passed legislation for a death with dignity/right to die option.

3/25/2005 7:24 AM

 
Blogger fuquinay said...

Prom, in many states, pets are considered property, not family members, so I have to disagree. I think people who own pets treat them as if they are members of the family, but society as a whole does not.

It's nice to see you, BTW. Don't be a stranger.

3/25/2005 9:35 AM

 
Blogger claire-obscure said...

What a great commentary. You've really hit upon the complexity of the case, and explored both sides-the parents and the husband's- with great thoughtfulness and empathy.

3/25/2005 11:12 AM

 
Blogger fisherwife said...

Terry is being medicated for the pain associated with starving. That's pretty blunt, but it bothered me until I realized that doctors were giving her something to ease this horrible process. I was schocked to find out that the whole thing started out with bulimia. Her whole life seems very sad. I am a Christian and I do believe in the sanctity of human life. I also believe it is NOT the job of government to rule over our private affairs in this way. Where are the lines drawn? The simple moral code of the ten commandments would serve us well, except that someone is always finding another exception to the rule. All of this rationalization of behaviors I find very tiring. I have been of two minds about this issue and still do not feel well informed enough to make a decision. I do believe that the powers that be are using this as a means to their own ends. I find that morally reprehensible. I am a registered Republican but believe more in the Libertarians stance on many issues, including this one. I'm like dogface, and glad I didn't have to call this ballgame.

3/25/2005 11:31 AM

 
Blogger fisherwife said...

I wrote, schocked....

geez, meant shocked.

Just a clarification.

3/25/2005 2:47 PM

 
Blogger aaron said...

Bella blue looks worse than the idiot protestors you talk about in your other post.

I'm a big fan of Bush's foreign policy, but I find his and other republicans involvement very distasteful. I seriously doubt most of the republicans are politically motivated in this (beyond trying to impose their point of view on others).

I generally support Bush and don't mind to much about his religious side because I figure he can't really do any damage, but crap like this does give me pause.

3/26/2005 7:32 PM

 
Blogger fuquinay said...

Aaron? You are wrong. And I'm going to remind you of your admittance that you are uninformed.

Bella Blue's first two paragraphs are her own. The rest of the post is taken verbatim from David Corn, Washington editor of The Nation. He is better informed than anyone can hope to be (as is Bella Blue).

Republicans are, in fact, using this as a political issue. (This fact was just discussed on the Diane Rehm show a few days ago.) They don't give a crap about Terri Schiavo the person; they only care about the big distraction from actual issues like the fiasco of Medicare.

There will be no name calling in my blog by anyone but me.

3/26/2005 7:43 PM

 
Blogger aaron said...

I was referring to the content of bella's first paragraph.

Apologies for the bad manners.

Setting an unrealistic standard for the polititians level of awareness and ability to address every case and then positing another case whose details may not be entirely analogous to imply that one's political opponents are racist suggest that Corn has rather loose ethics.

Just because Corn is well informed dosen't mean that he is well reasoned.

3/26/2005 8:46 PM

 
Blogger aaron said...

I don't doubt that republicans are using the issue as a political tool, but I also think that idea is greatly exaggerated.

Bella's and Corn's commentary doesn't seem to add to the discussion and really just try to paint "the other side" with a broad brush.

Politicians may jump on this issue because they may think it will appeal to people's religious leanings, and it will for some, but my guess is that it will do more harm than good. It's pretty short sighted. Republicans mostly need to avoid alienating that group, but need to solicit support from middle of the road people whose thinking is more complex. Plus, ascribing to such simplistic view of voters will offend those voters.

3/26/2005 9:22 PM

 
Blogger aaron said...

Commentary like that also plays into those that wish to use the issue as a distraction.

3/26/2005 9:30 PM

 
Blogger fuquinay said...

Bullshit.

3/27/2005 6:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home